INTRASOFT International has successfully implemented the new Social Security & Pension Administration System (SSPAS) of the National Social Security Fund of Kenya (NSSF). This project demonstrates the company’s strong know-how and accumulated experience in the implementation of large-scale Information Systems in the Social Insurance domain globally.
The Social Security & Pension Administration System is an Integrated Information system, which automates the organisation’s processes, replacing manual processes with automated electronic ones. Thus, the new system supports NSSF’s strategic plan to offer high-quality Social Security services by improving the effectiveness and efficiency of these services. It optimises the performance of the NSSF’s business processes regarding time and costs and serves as a valuable tool for decision-making.
INTRASOFT International was selected through an international tender process by NSSF to implement this 3 million USD project. The project was successfully completed and went live at all NSSF branches in 16 months. Currently, the project is in the support and maintenance phase. The implementation included: s/w design, development, s/w customisation, configuration, data migration, s/w installation, system integration, training and technical support services.
The solution supports approximately 1.000 users with national coverage, all of them connected to the application via a standard browser. The project currently supports the operation of more than 100 District, Branch and Satellite Offices of NSSF.
The system integrates NSSF’s different business areas and provides the corresponding electronic services through its web portal. Using various web services, it supports online integration with other organisations such as Banks, the KRA (iTax) and other Registration Agencies. With SSPAS, NSSF Administration can monitor and control all transactions and check at any given time all daily operations, performance and productivity of NSSF officers.
The SSPAS Modules include the following:
- Registry of Members (registration applications, amendments via permissions issuance, history of amendments, insurance cards, dependant’s registration etc.)
- Registry of Employers (registration applications, amendments via permissions issuance, history of amendments, closing-re-opening of operations etc.)
- Contributions Management (creation of obligations and contribution invoices, payment of employers’ financial obligations, clearance process, banking, employer’s ledger, member account, suspense clearance etc.)
- Debt Management (late submissions and payments, arrears, bounced checks, debtor and defaulter administration, debts reductions, debts settlements etc.)
- Compliance (work plan, audits execution and results, notification letters etc.)
- Benefits and Pensions (workflow, legislation set up, initial and supplementary awards, alterations, payments, EFT, resumptions, reconciliations of payments etc.).
- e-Collaboration Services (e-Services, web services, mobility)
- Complaints Management
- MIS/BI (embedded and automated statistical data warehouse supported by Oracle BI reports)
- Financial Integration with ERP (GL Integration and cashbooks)
The web portal enhances direct communication with members and employers via value added e-services, which improve the quality of the provided services and decrease the requirements of physical presence of employers and members at NSSF Branches. The e-Services module of SSPAS supports:
- e-certification (user Authorisation)
- e-Registration of Employers
- e-Submission of Employers Contributions (Returns)
- e-Payment Order
- e-Converter from Payroll to new Returns Structure
- e-Registration of Members
- e-Statement of Members Account
The Mobile Application of SSPAS supports:
- Mobile application for submission and payment of Returns from Employers
- Mobile application for payment of contributions from voluntary Members
- Mobile application for inquiry of Member Contributions Statement
Some indicative improvement metrics reflected at NSSF’s operation with the use of SSPAS include:
- Significant reduction of Suspense and unallocated payments: The suspense and unallocated payments have been reduced by 60%.
- Increased efficiency in Benefits payments: The monthly Benefits payments handled have been increased by 35% and the turnaround time for benefits processing has been also improved (reduced by 20%) without increasing personnel.
- Increased efficiency in Registration: The newly registered members handled have been increased by 30% without increasing personnel.
- e-Collaboration services which did not exist before. Many thousands of employers are web certified and submit on-line the contributions - and growing.
- Interoperability with other organisations (online communication via web services) has been introduced: online integration with KRA, Huduma Organisation, Banks, e-Citizen (on going).
- Introduction of Mobility: Mobile applications for Members and Employers.
- Seamless transition to new law (2014) within tight deadlines.